Individual Tax returns

In Australia, every individual has to lodge a tax return at the end of the year if you earn more than $18200, or if the tax has been deducted from your income during the financial year. Any individual who earns an income, other than their wage or salary, are required to declare all income from other sources as well. For example, if you earn an income driving for Uber or working for Airtasker and any other share economy websites, then you must include that income on your tax return.

From 1 July 2017 if you have a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt and you’re a foreign resident for tax purposes – you’ll need to declare your worldwide income or lodge a non-lodgment advice.

You’ll need to lodge if:

  • you’ve made personal superannuation contributions which have exceeded your non-concessional (after tax) cap for the financial year, or
  • the contributions you have made have resulted in your concessional (pre-tax) contributions cap being exceeded.

You may also need to lodge if you are in receipt of a capped defined benefit income stream, even where you have not been required to do so for some time.